ABOUT THE HEALTHIER YOU NHS DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAMME - DELIVERED BY LIVING WELL TAKING CONTROL
The Healthier You NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme is a behaviour change programme.
This means that it focuses on looking at the factors that are increasing your risk of Type 2 diabetes and helping you to develop a plan to make healthy lifestyle changes that will reduce or remove your risk.
During the programme you can expect:
To learn all about healthy eating
To learn about sustainable exercise plans for all activity levels
Help to lose weight if it's required
Support to bring your blood sugar back to a healthy level
An education on what Diabetes is and how to prevent developing the disease
The impact of Diabetes on the lives of those who have got it
Regular support from your coach
Peer support from other group members if you choose the group coaching option
One-to-one online support from your coach if you choose the digital option
To be part of a programme which has helped tens of thousands of people across the UK to reduce their risk of developing diabetes
HOW DO I JOIN?
There are two ways you can join the Healthier You NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme:
1. Speak to your GP or relevant health care professional and they can refer you to our programme if you are at risk
2. Register online. In order to do this you must either:
- Have an up-to-date blood sugar reading and fill out this form
- Take our Know Your Risk calculator and follow the instructions on-screen if your risk score is 16 or higher
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. You'll receive a one-to-one appointment with your coach so that we can get to know you a bit better and explain the programme in full
2a. If you've chosen the group support route, you'll be given a schedule of sessions and your choice of local venue to attend
2b. If you've chosen the one-to-one digital route, you'll receive instructions on how to use the app and begin engaging with your coach virtually
3. You'll work through your tailored prevention programme, implementing sustainable changes to your lifestyle which will see you take control of your blood sugar levels and reduce your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes
4. You'll regularly celebrate your achievements until you complete the programme and complete your end-point assessment with your coach, who will help you to set achievable post-programme goals to continue your good work and keep your risk of developing Diabetes as low as it can be
HOW YOU CAN TAKE PART IN THE PROGRAMME
If you would like to work 1-to-1 with a coach then you need our digital support. You'll get free access to a 9-month programme with your own personal health coach.
This programme gives you:
Your own personal health coach (dietitian or personal trainer)
A lifestyle plan tailored to you and your goals
Weekly guidance through video and text in the Liva app
Goal monitoring and tracking of personal development
Motivational tools, health guides and tips
Peer support groups where you can get inspiration from users
* The programme also supports non-English speakers.
Join a small group of people who are also at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. In 13 sessions spread over nine months, your trained Coach will provide the motivation, resources, advice, and support you need to increase your physical activity, and help you improve your diet.
You will also have access to a free app containing everything you will need to make a positive difference.
The programme is free and supports non-English speakers. You can even bring someone with you for extra support.